Simple-to-use 24-bit/96kHz Digital Recorder with Omnidirectional Microphones
TASCAM’s DR-05 brings high-quality stereo recording to an easy-to-use portable powerhouse with a size and price that anyone can handle. The DR-05 records in MP3 or WAV format – including 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audio – to microSD or microSDHC media. A pair of condenser microphones handle up to 125dB SPL, with the sensitivity to capture every detail. With simple-to-use recording features like Peak Reduction and Quick Menu, the DR-05 puts album-quality recording in the palm of your hand.
Everything about the DR-05 is designed to capture the best quality recordings of your music. A new pair of built-in microphones withstands up to 125dB SPL – the volume of a jet plane from 200 feet away – yet still has the sensitivity to capture every detail of a performance. You can add your own microphone or line-level source through the 1/8” stereo input, including plug-in power for microphones that need it.
Internally, the DR-05’s digital and analog circuit boards are built separately to manage noise performance, with a low-impedance design to further decrease hiss. A separate power supply is sent to the A/D and D/A converters for even better audio performance. The result is clean sound quality – over 92dB signal to noise ratio, under 0.05% total harmonic distortion and 20Hz to 40kHz response (-1/+3dB) at 96kHz/24-bit resolution.
Simple to Operate
The layout of the DR-05 has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with your thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away. Dig deeper to find features like limiting, low cut filtering, a built-in chromatic tuner and more.
One standout new feature that makes the DR-05 easy to operate is the new Peak Reduction feature. This setting automatically sets your recording level by listening to the input and adjusting for the best level. Unlike Auto Gain settings, this one only drops to prevent accidental distortion after a period of low level, like a break. Peak Recording works in rehearsal mode or in record, so if the performance is louder than the soundcheck you’re still safe. Used with the built-in limiter, it’s easy to get a distortion-free live recording.
Other classic TASCAM features are included, like Variable Speed Audition to loop and slow down music without changing the pitch – perfect for transcribing or learning new music. A Level Align function can be switched on for playback, to smooth out any sudden volume jumps, and a built-in speaker is also provided. Two AA batteries can power the recorder for 17 1/2 hours, even while recording at CD quality.
For musicians at any stage of their career, there’s no easier way to get great-sounding recordings than TASCAM’s DR-05.
Features at a glance
- Stereo condenser microphones for lively, high-quality sound and high-resolution recording
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL, making it ideal for loud band recordings
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Three low cut filter levels that cut unnecessary low frequency noise such as from air conditioning equipment(40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments), which is great for practicing music and language study
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convenient for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump back and play that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback (1 to 10 sec in 1 sec increments, 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec)
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF linear PCM recording and long recordings as MP3 files possible
- microSD/microSDHC cards can be used as recording media
- A 4GB microSD card is included. Up to 149 hours of recording is possible with the included card (MP3 at 32kbps)
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track Mark information can be utilized by BWF compatible software
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini headphone jack for external stereo microphones (provides plug-in power) / External line input
- Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer is possible using USB 2.0
- Powered by 2 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P515U)
- Mini USB cable included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
Omni Condenser Microphones
Built into the DR-05 are a pair of omnidirectional condenser microphones. These stereo microphones are tailored for natural ambient recording, with rich bass response and lower handling noise than most handheld recorders.
The built-in microphones capture a wide, natural frequency range suitable for any type of voice, nature or musical recording. A 1/8″ microphone input is also available for adding your own stereo microphone or recording a line-level source.
Like most TASCAM handheld recorders, the DR-05 includes playback modes to loop a section of playback or slow it down without changing the pitch, perfect for learning new music. A built-in speaker is included for checking recording without headphones. The Level Align feature smooths out level jumps during playback to help you monitor your raw, unmastered recordings.
Other handy additions include a chromatic tuner and tripod stand mount.
Peak Limiter Prevents Clipping
A built-in stereo peak limiter prevents unexpected loud sounds from distorting your recording. Just flip it on to keep sudden jumps from ruining your takes.
Another recording mode is the Auto Level setting, which sets the level based on the sound level in the room. Other settings include a low cut filter, useful for removing rumble or wind noise when outdoors. (A windscreen is also sold seperately.)
Optional DR-05 Accessories
|Recording media||microSD card (64MB to 2GB), microSDHC card (4GB to 32GB)|
|File format||WAV(BWF), MP3|
|Sampling frequency||44.1k/48k/96k Hz|
|Quantization bit rate||16/24-bit|
|Sampling frequency||44.1k/48k Hz|
|Bit-rate for recording||32/64/96/128/192/256/320k bps|
|Playback bit rate||32k to 320kbps, VBR, ID3 tag Ver. 2.4|
|Number of channels||2-channel (Stereo)|
|Playback speed control (VSA)||0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments) *44.1k/48k Hz only|
|Built-in microphone||Omnidirectional, stereo|
|Connector||1/8″ (3.5mm) stereo mini jack, Unbalanced, Plug-in power|
|Nominal Input Level||–20dBV|
|Maximum Input Level||–4dBV|
|Connector||1/8″ (3.5mm) stereo mini jack, Unbalanced|
|Nominal Output Level||–14dBV (10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output Level||+2dBV (10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output||20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)|
|Built-in speakers||0.3W, Mono|
|Low-cut filter||40/80/120 Hz|
|Format||USB2.0 HIGH SPEED|
|Chromatic tuner||C1 to B6, A4 = 435Hz to 445Hz (in 1Hz increments)|
|Tripod attachment screw-hole||1/4 inch, Tripod attachment screw-hole|
|Power||2 AA batteries,|
USB bus power,
AC100 to 240V (Optional AC adapter)
|Power consumption||1.7W (Max)|
|Battery operation time||*All times are approximate.|
|With alkaline batteries|
|With Ni-MH batteries|
|Dimensions (W×H×D)||2.40″ × 5.55″ × 1.02″ / 61 × 141 × 26 mm|
|Weight||4.1 oz. / 116 g (excluding battery)|
|Standard accessories||4GB microSD card, USB connection cable, 2 AA batteries for confirming operation, Owner’s Manual, Warranty card|
|Frequency response||20Hz to 20kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 44.1kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
20Hz to 22kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 48kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 40kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
|Distortion||0.05% or lower (Fs 44.1k/48k/96k Hz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|S/N ratio||92dB or higher (Fs 44.1k/48k/96k Hz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|CPU type/speed||Pentium 300MHz or faster|
|Memory||128MB or more|
|CPU type/speed||Power PC, iMac, G3, G4, G5 266MHz or faster|
|Memory||64MB or more|